While your usage data tells you how much your users are using the resource, your engagement data tells you how engaged they are with the resource. These analytics are useful in determining how users are interacting with the films.
Types of reports
- Summary: this report provides a summary snapshot of the various different engagement metrics. Users can do various things on your Kanopy website to engage with films and provide feedback on them. This data is absolutely private and is always accessible to the user on their own dashboards.
- Comments: this report outlines the comments that have been left on films. Comments provide an avenue for users to share their thoughts with others and benefit from other opinions (especially valuable when most of the films on Kanopy are intended to educate and provoke thoughts), as well as valuable feedback to libraries on the true value users are getting from the films (seeing a play on a film is great, even more so when you know it changed the outlook and perspectives of the end user and had a great impact on them).
- Ratings: this report lists all the films that have been anonymously rated by your users. After watching a film, a user can rate the film from 1 to 5 stars. It is interesting to note the films that generated the most positive ratings from your users, as well as those that were less enjoyed. This feedback can be useful to pass through to faculty potentially using these films in courses.
- Playlists: this report lists all the clips and playlists of films created by your users. Any users can create clips and playlists of films. This feature is most typically used by faculty in curating and editing films for courses. It is incredibly insightful, particularly for identifying the films faculty are using and how they are integrating them into the course curriculum
- Watchlists: this report lists all of the films that have been added into user Watchlists. Any of your users can create watchlists of their favorite or most valued films.
A note on User information
All user data is strictly private and you will not have any visibility on your dashboard into the personal information of users. While you may be capable of seeing a playlist was created at your institution on your dashboard, you will not know the personal information of who created it.
All user information can be accessed by the user at any time in the future. Even if the user leaves your institution or your institution changes the way it works with Kanopy in the future, the user will always be able to log into their Kanopy account and access their user profile and their personal engagement information.