If you try playing a video on a device that's not compatible with DRM (digital rights management), you may run into an error. For the best experience, we recommend using the Kanopy mobile or TV apps.
Common errors include:
- Unsupported system or browser
- Unsupported mobile/TV app version
- Unsupported external monitors
- Network connectivity
- Screen resolution
Unsupported system or browser
Ensure that you're using a supported browser. Note that turning off AirPlay may resolve DRM issues on macOS.
Verify that your browser is configured to play DRM content.
- Go to chrome://settings/content/protectedContent.
- Ensure Sites can play protected content and Sites can use identifiers to play protected content are selected.
- Go to about:preferences.
- Ensure Play DRM-controlled content is selected under "Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content."
- Select Extensions & Themes in the bottom-left corner.
- Select Plugins in the top-left corner.
- Ensure "Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc." is enabled.
Unsupported TV/mobile app version
Unsupported external monitors
Verify that your monitor and video cable are HDCP compliant. Most HDMI and DVI cables are HDCP compliant, but analog video cables like VGA are not. If you're using an unsupported monitor or video cable, disconnect it or switch to a compliant cord or screen.
On macOS, the Safari browser provides the best compatibility with HDCP.
Verify that your device is connected to the internet, then close and reopen the Kanopy app or your web browser.
This error typically means the video you're trying to play isn't available in your country. If you're using a VPN, disabling it may resolve this issue.
Devices with a resolution lower than 720p may not support DRM-protected content. To resolve this, try changing your display settings to a higher resolution or use a different device.
Need more help?
If the above suggestions don't resolve the DRM related issues you're experiencing, please contact us. In your message, please include:
- Your device model
- Your Kanopy app version
- Your computer's OS and browser, if watching in your browser