If you try playing a video on a device that's not compatible with DRM (digital rights management), you may run into an error. For the best experience, we recommend using the Kanopy mobile or TV apps.
Common issues include:
Ensure that you're using a supported browser. Note that turning off AirPlay may resolve DRM issues on macOS.
Verify that your browser is configured to play DRM content.
- Go to chrome://settings/content/protectedContent.
- Ensure Sites can play protected content and Sites can use identifiers to play protected content are selected.
- Go to about:preferences.
- Ensure Play DRM-controlled content is selected under "Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content."
- Select Extensions & Themes in the bottom-left corner.
- Select Plugins in the top-left corner.
- Ensure "Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc." is enabled.
Verify that you're using the most recent version of the Kanopy app. Learn more about our TV and mobile apps.
Verify that your device is connected to the internet, then close and reopen the Kanopy app or your web browser.
This error typically means the video you're trying to play isn't available in your country. If you're using a VPN, disabling it may resolve this issue.
Devices with a resolution lower than 720p may not support DRM-protected content. To resolve this, try changing your display settings to a higher resolution or use a different device.
Need more help?
If the above suggestions don't resolve the DRM related issues you're experiencing, please contact us. In your message, please include:
- Your device model
- Your Kanopy app version
- Your computer's OS and browser, if watching in your browser